Exogenous Ketones for Fat Burn
Exogenous ketones are the newest scientific breakthrough in the world of health and wellness, making the job of achieving ketosis, the state in which the body is burning fat/ketones as fuel rather than glucose, much easier. They come in powder form and are ingested exogenously (a fancy word for outside the body). Exogenous ketones are comprised of beta-hydroxybutyrate salts, which flood your bloodstream with ketones and put the body in ketosis within 30-60 minutes. This means that you can reap all the amazing health benefits of being in ketosis in a simple and effective way (just mix the exogenous ketones with water & drink!). Research is now linking exogenous ketones to a multitude of benefits, including more efficient weight loss, athletic performance enhancement, cancer prevention, cognitive improvement, neuroprotection and anti-inflammatory properties. (See research links below.) In addition, exogenous ketones are an extremely useful tool to easily transition to the ketogenic diet. When taken daily, they can reduce carb/sugar cravings, turn on your fat burners, give you more energy, and keep "low-carb flu" at bay. So bottom line, exogenous ketones are perfect for anyone looking to improve their health and wellbeing.
WHY USE THEM
- Reason #1 - Fat Burning
- Exogenous ketones for fat burn. Taking exogenous ketones will get you into ketosis quickly. Once your body is done using the exogenous ketones you ingested as fuel, then it will start looking for other places to get ketones from. And lucky for you, ketones are made from the fat stored in your body! So as your body produces more of these ketones as fuel, you end up burning fat.
- Reason #2 - Energy
- Our bodies use ketones via our mitochondria to generate energy. They are an alternative fuel source to glucose and the ideal energy source for your body and your brain. Studies have suggested that when your body is in ketosis, it utilizes oxygen more efficiently in the generation of energy. As a result, exogenous ketones are secret weapons for anyone looking to take their body’s fueling system to the next level.
- Reason #3 - Reduced Sugar/Carb Cravings
- Most people get their energy from glucose. And where does glucose come from? The answer is: sugar and carbohydrates! So our brain is trained to crave glucose, especially when our energy is running low! (This is justified by the daily 3pm afternoon crash most people experience - when you are tired and looking for energy via a chocolate bar or sugar-laden coffee drink. Does this sound familiar?) When you switch to ketones as fuel, which is a much more sustained energy source, your body is no longer reliant on glucose for energy and doesn't need the constant sugar/carbohydrate intake. And voila! No more cravings!
- Reason #4 - Improved Mental Clarity
- Your brain has something called a "blood barrier" which is a very tight barrier that only allows certain components of your blood to penetrate it. Glucose is one component that can’t directly cross the blood brain barrier, meaning you get inconsistent energy to the brain depending on how much glucose is available to cross the blood brain barrier at any point in time. Ketones are actually small enough to cross this blood brain barrier. So by ingesting ketones, you can have a constant supply of energy to the brain.
- Reason #5 - To Avoid "Low Carb Flu"
- When your body transitions to getting its energy from ketones vs. glucose (aka sugar/carbs), you can experience something known as "Low Carb Flu". Symptoms of low carb flu can include lack of energy, bloating, irritability, headaches and fatigue. This is because your body is going through carbohydrate withdrawal (lack of glucose) and hasn’t become efficient at producing and burning ketones for energy yet. The good news is that you can use exogenous ketones to bridge this gap. Exogenous ketones supply your body with the readily available energy needed to prevent any of these flu-like symptoms.
- Reason #6 - To Get Back Into Ketosis Quickly
- Not everyone can (or wants to) follow a very strict, high fat, low carb diet. You can achieve ketosis solely through diet, but if you slip up and indulge in that bowl of pasta or piece of cake, you can get kicked out of ketosis. Once you get kicked out of nutritional ketosis, it can take awhile to get back to that state. Luckily, exogenous ketones put your body back into ketosis effortlessly. Exogenous ketones are an asset to anyone struggling to stay in nutritional ketosis.
- Reason #7 - Get More Out of Your Workout
- Normally, your body uses glucose and stored glycogen for energy when you are working out. However, your body has a limited amount of stored glycogen available. When you run out of glycogen, your body can either make more, or start making energy from fat. Both of these processes are dependent on using oxygen for energy. However, when you take exogenous ketones, your body can use that energy immediately with a much lower oxygen utilization. Lower oxygen utilization enables you to work out longer and harder. Taking exogenous ketones prior to you workout can also help with muscle soreness. Since exogenous ketones allow you to hit higher performance levels at lower oxygen utilization, your workout is less stressful overall on your body so you recover more quickly and with less pain.
- Reason #8 - Aids with Intermittent Fasting
- Intermittent fasting is a powerful weight loss tool, but it requires one specific thing - NOT EATING! This can prove to be extremely challenging for even the strongest willed people! Using exogenous ketones can help you through the rough patches, as they are known to suppress your appetite. Most people find that while exogenous ketones are in their system, they don't care as much about food.
- Reason #9 - Research Supporting a Ton of Other Health Benefits
- Research is linking exogenous ketones to a multitude of other benefits, including cancer treatment/prevention, cognitive improvement, Alzheimer's treatment, neuroprotection, and brain trauma injury healing. There is also evidence that ketone bodies play a crucial role in reducing inflammation by inhibiting a specific class of proteins called inflammasones. Systematic inflammation within the body has been linked to chronic disease and autoimmune disorders.
- Reason #10 - They Actually Work!
- Here at The Ketone Society, we pride ourselves on being all things keto so we were extremely skeptical when introduced to this "magic powder"that would put us in ketosis. In the name of research, we tried these exogenous ketones out and were pretty astounded by the results. They actually put us into ketosis (this was verified by multiple tests using both breath and blood meters). In addition, our cravings for sugar and carbohydrates were reduced, as was our appetite. Our weight-loss accelerated and our energy levels were noticeably higher, especially during workouts. The crazy thing was that even our non-keto friends and family were experiencing the same effects from these exogenous ketones. So bottom line: they work for everyone! Also, more and more research is being published about the benefits of ketones for overall health, which is just icing on the carb-free cake!
HOW TO USE
Here is a great tool on how to use exogenous ketones. Essentially, anyone can use exogenous ketones and see benefits even if you aren't on the ketogenic diet.
- Take 1-2 servings of KETO//OS per day, in the morning and in the afternoon or before exercise with or without food.
- For people with sensitive stomachs, do 1/2 serving in the morning and 1/2 serving in the afternoon or before exercise for 1-2 days to allow your body to adapt your body to the active ingredients.
- It is important to hydrate. 75% of people are chronically dehydrated. Taking KETO//OS or beginning a ketogenic diet can deplete your electrolytes so it is important to drink more water and add sea salt to your food. This will help replenish your electrolytes.
- Bonus! KETO//OS (including the Keto Kreme product) can be taken while following an intermittent fasting plan to get your through your morning fast!
WHO IS USING THEM
The information contained on this website is not meant to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. Statements on this website have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. Products on this site are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. If you are pregnant, nursing, taking medication or have a medical condition, consult your physician before using these products.
Information found on this site is meant for educational and informational purposes only and to motivate you to make your own health care and dietary decisions based upon your own research and in partnership with your health care provider. It should not be relied upon to determine dietary changes, a medical diagnosis or courses of treatment. Individual articles and information on other websites are based upon the opinions of the respective authors, who retain copyright as marked.