How to Combine Keto & Fasting For Superior Fat Loss
Both the ketogenic diet and intermittent fasting are excellent options for improving fat loss, insulin sensitivity, and overall health on their own. However, when combined, the two support each other for superior fat loss and body recomposition.
Let's review the facts:
The ketogenic diet is an extremely low carb diet that places an emphasis on fat intake along with a moderate protein intake consisting of a macronutrient breakdown of 75% Fat, 20% Protein, and 5% Carbohydrates. By substantially reducing your carbohydrate intake, your body enters ketosis and transitions from burning glucose as fuel to burning fat as fuel through the generation of ketones.
Intermittent fasting is basically an eating pattern that cycles between periods of fasting and eating. If you are in a fasted state (i.e. where you haven't recently consumed a meal), then the body doesn't have that readily available glucose to use as energy, so it is more likely to pull from the fat stored in your body in order to generate ketones as fuel.
Are you seeing a common theme here? The answer is "yes"! Both methods lead to the same outcome - burning fat as fuel! So just imagine when you combine the two into one protocol, the weight loss results are maximized!
Whether you are new to keto or have been following the keto diet and hit a plateau, this protocol will get your weight loss jumpstarted! This method can be used as a way to get into ketosis quickly or as a way to stimulate fat loss.
A FEW TIPS
- Step #1 - Eat Your First Meal Between 11am to 1pm
- Water is key!! Add a little bit of unrefined Pink Himalayan salt to your water to boost your electrolytes.
- Don't use artificial sweeteners (Splenda, Equal, Sweet 'N Low or Truvia) in your coffee or tea. These sweeteners contain chemicals that mess with your hunger hormones and can sabotage your fasting. Stick with pure stevia from the leaf if you need to add a touch of sweetness to your drinks.
- Bone broth is extremely nourishing and soothing to your digestive track. Make it at home and try not to use store-bought brands as a substitute!
- You can read more about exogenous ketones here. These exogenous ketone packets can be used with coffee, tea and water and will allow you to keep your fast. They are a great option for keto beginners because they flood your body with ketones, reduce your appetite and curb sugar/carb cravings. Hunger and cravings are the biggest hinderances to completing this protocol, so exogenous ketones can be your secret weapon. Plus, they have a ton of other health benefits so they are definitely worth incorporating into your diet.
- Step #2 - Eat 2-3 Keto Meals Per Day
- Once you break your fast between 11am-1pm, eat 2-3 ketogenic meals during the day.
- PRO TIP: Download The Ketone Society's Free 7 Day Keto Meal Plan and just skip the breakfast options. You can do the creamy coffee/tea during your fast if needed.
- Make sure to end your eating window @ 8pm.
- Remember don't skimp on the fats!! Your meals should be 75% Fat, 20% Protein, and 5% Carbohydrates.
- Check out the following resources for all things keto:
- Step #3 - Get Moving
- Try to start the day with a 30 minute walk or other form of exercise while you are still fasting.
- If need be, take an exogenous ketone packet to give you energy prior to your workout. They are also a great pre-workout fuel.
- Step #4 - Get Good Sleep
- Sleep is so important to your health and to achieving your weight loss goals.
- Make sure to practice good sleep hygiene:
- Avoid stimulants such as caffeine close to bedtime.
- Ensure adequate exposure to natural light during the day. This is particularly important for individuals who may not venture outside frequently. Exposure to sunlight during the day, as well as darkness at night, helps to maintain a healthy sleep-wake cycle.
- Establish a regular relaxing bedtime routine. A regular nightly routine helps the body recognize that it is bedtime. This could include taking warm shower or bath, reading a book, or light stretches. When possible, try to avoid the watching TV or looking at your phone screen 60 minutes prior to bedtime.
- Make sure that your sleep environment is pleasant. Mattress and pillows should be comfortable. The bedroom should be cool (between 60 and 67 degrees) for optimal sleep. Also, consider using blackout curtains, eye shades, ear plugs, "white noise" machines, and fans that can make the bedroom more relaxing.
Everything is easier when you have a great support group around you! We promise you that you will see great results if you follow this protocol! So grab a group of friends, your family or even start a group on Facebook to do the protocol with! The more the merrier! Share recipes, workouts, tips and motivational quotes to get through this 7 day challenge. It is only one week of your life - you can do this!!
Like anything new in your diet, check with your doctor before beginning this protocol. Ready, set, ketosis!!
The information contained on this website is not meant to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. Statements on this website have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. Products on this site are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. If you are pregnant, nursing, taking medication or have a medical condition, consult your physician before using these products.
Information found on this site is meant for educational and informational purposes only and to motivate you to make your own health care and dietary decisions based upon your own research and in partnership with your health care provider. It should not be relied upon to determine dietary changes, a medical diagnosis or courses of treatment. Individual articles and information on other websites are based upon the opinions of the respective authors, who retain copyright as marked.